I Did It! {Reupholstering Cube Ottomans Tutorial}

When I revealed my living room re-do a few weeks ago I mentioned that I still needed to reupholster a pair of inexpensive cube ottomans I bought at Target.  The sticking point was the fabric — how much yardage and the price point.   I solved both dilemmas and just finished reupholstering them today — yay!!

Here’s the before:


And, here’s the after!


You’ll notice I didn’t put the button tuft in the middle like the before picture.  I might still add that.  I was undecided about it so I thought I would live with it like this for awhile and then see what I think.

The project took a little time and patience but I’m pretty happy with the result!

Here’s how I did it:

First, I had my husband help me take a couple of the legs off that were giving me a little trouble.

Then I used a screwdriver to lift off the staples that were holding down the black finishing fabric and the welting.

I decided to keep the old fabric on the piece and just add more batting over it.  (On this piece it doesn’t hurt to keep the old fabric on, and it saved me the hassle of lifting off more staples.)

After it was dismantled, I added a new layer of batting (you wouldn’t have to do this step either…I did it because I felt the stool needed it).

Then I used some inexpensive muslin to make a pattern so I wouldn’t waste my expensive fabric.
I simply layed one large piece of fabric over the three sides of the cube and then pinned two end pieces and cut off the excess.

I didn’t sew the muslin…I just used it to make a pattern.  I laid down the pattern on the “real” fabric and cut around it.  I cut the sides a little longer on each end because I wanted to be able to adjust the fabric to match up the window pane pattern. 

When everything was cut, I started pinning at the top by matching the stripes.

Here’s a better shot to see the extra fabric on either end to help me adjust for the pattern.

When it was all pinned, I trimmed off the excess fabric before sewing.  I left about an inch seam allowance (except for the bottom).

After it was all pinned up, I slipped it off the ottoman and sewed it together.  I turned it right side out, then slipped it back over the ottman and trimmed off any excess fabric and started stapling.

When it was all stapled, I started making the welting that goes around the bottom to finish off the piece. 

I used the old cord to measure the length I’d need to make.  When laying it on the bias (the diagonal), it looked like I wouldn’t have to do any additional sewing – yay! 

With the welting finished, I started stapling it around the bottom of the cube. 

When you get to this point at the end, you need to make it look like a nice continuous looking piece.  It’s actually pretty easy.  Here’s how you do it:

You peel back the fabric on one end of the welting and then match it up to the other cord so you can “join” the two together to make one continuous piece.  Cut where the two pieces would join.

Then butt the two ends together and fold the excess fabric inward (as shown above) so you don’t have any fraying edges exposed.

Hold one end down as you fold the fabric and then staple the ends down so it forms one continuous piece of welting.

Once it was complete, I stapled the old black finishing fabric on and then screwed on the legs.


I saved myself about $100 by doing these ottomans myself instead of buying custom from an online store.

Whaddya think?!

Linking up to:
Don't forget to share...Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponEmail this to someone

14 Responses to I Did It! {Reupholstering Cube Ottomans Tutorial}

  1. They came out gorgeous and I love the new fabric! So professional looking. I’m envious of those that know how to sew. 🙂


  2. They look great! I have two little ottomans sitting here in my study waiting for someone to re-upholster them! Thanks for the inspiration.

  3. Helene says:

    Oh my gosh awesome!! they look incredible!!
    Helene in Between

  4. I love it! Would you come to my house and work some magic?

  5. Wow! These look great! I have a similar ottoman that I want to recover, but wasn’t quite sure how to go about it. Now I do thanks to you!

  6. smart momma says:

    now those cube ottomans turned out pretty 🙂

    dropping by from It’s Overflowing, come and visit me back at:


  7. Sarah says:

    Visiting from ItsOveflowing – and now I am pinning this tutorial! I just bought some similar cubes (no feet) from Target, which I love and give me a pop of color, but I’m sure someday I will grow sick of them. Now I will know how to sew and inexpensive cover! Thanks for this great tip!

  8. Ginny says:

    I really need ottomans and don’t want to spend the money for custom. You’ve saved me!! I’m ordering some from Target today! Found you at It’s Overflowing. Stop by our little store http://www.whimsees.com Thanks!

  9. I am SO glad I found this post (from It’s Overflowing). I have an ottoman I tried to recover and it looked like a third-grader did it. Thanks to you I’m going to try again! Yours are BeAuTiFuL!

  10. Jill says:

    Fabulous! GREAT TUTORIAL too! SMiles, Jill

  11. Great job! Thanks for sharing your turtorial

  12. SHERRY HART says:

    Holy smokes…you did an awesome job…like a professional! They turned out great!

  13. Thanks for using our handy EasyShot staple gun on this project! It looks great! #MadeWithArrow

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *